Wednesday, November 27, 2013

"Facelook": Please, won't you be my neighbor?

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,
A neighborly day for a beauty,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?


I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you!
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.
So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?
Won't you please,
Won't you please?
Please won't you be my neighbor?

I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood religiously when I was a child. The unmistakeable xylophone theme music intro, his change from work clothes to sweater and sneakers, his visits to people and places, with his neighbors...the warm smile and eyes that looked straight into the camera, and a voice that never failed to tell me every day that I was special. Also, as a product of classic-era Sesame Street (I was three years old when it premiered in November 1969), the catchy little tune "Who Are The People In Your Neighborhood?" (see YouTube clip) would prompt me to get away from the TV, and actually go out to get to know our mailman, our milkman (yes, back in the day), the clerks at the creamery, local hardware and grocery stores. Back then there was a Woolworth's in town, and I was always buying fish for my fish tank, so I remember "Dan the Fish Man"...always ready with a fancy tail guppy or a black-spotted gold fish.

That there were adults in this world (besides my own parents) who were good, honest, wise, respectable, responsible and most of all, actually knew my name and cared about who I was, gave me a great sense of validation early in my life....for it wouldn't be long before I learned that there were people in the world who were cruel, dishonest, selfish, disrespectful and irresponsible. I would learn that most "people in the neighborhood" would like to keep to themselves, arm themselves out of distrust, would steal, lie, backbite and gossip, would look me straight in the eye and lie to me, keep something from me...or tell me I was nothing special.

I like to surround myself with good people. It would be extremely unrealistic for any of us to expect a "Mr. Roger's World", but I know a good person when I see one. It has taken me many years to learn (many times, the hard way) the tactics and strategies of those who speak with silver tongues, those who try to sell themselves to me, and attempt to "friend" me by telling me what I want to hear. Fool me once...

I got to know many folks in Amador County when I was a writer for the Gold Country Times, and also as a reporter for the Ledger Dispatch. With the LD, there were a couple stories where I may have done a little too much investigation. One in particular was the "Field of Dreams" project at Argonaut HS. There are many sides of a story, many voices that need to be heard, and I sought those voices. But if I got too close to the truth or certain "facts", or if my copy did not clandestinely side in favor of the project, I was reigned back in. I felt it wrong to stay information from the public, and had the sick feeling that the newspaper might have been used to push projects through without the public knowing (or at least aware of) certain "details". I also thought about how long this practice might have been going on, but I needed a job, so I kept my mouth shut on several things. A local newspaper carries a great power and influence, as well as great responsibility to its readership. You cannot just "vote out" a publisher, editor or a reporter. If you want a voice, you have to buy one (ie. subscriptions, advertising).

In 2011, I did an independent interview with Dr. Robert Hartmann. I've always had the utmost respect for Dr. Hartmann, and know of the great things he has done for Amador County in his ongoing position as Public Health Officer. When his review came up to remain on as ACPHO, there was some hesitation with the Board of Supervisors (i.e. budgets, salary, etc.) and I targeted John Plasse for an interview, since he was the Chair at the time. In my pursuit of getting the BOS/Plasse's side of the story, I was looked upon with disdain by some people in the community, even by Hartmann himself and his wife, Mel. Of course I'd love to see Dr. Hartmann continue on as Amador County's P.H.O. But that was not the issue; I wanted to hear what Plasse had to say, but most of all, I wanted to find out for myself just how politics are played in Amador County. After all, the people of Amador County voted for their Supervisors, so didn't it make sense to get a statement from those who represent them?

I also did an interview with Dana Fink, a local witch who is very proactive in the community. Once the interview was released, I got flack from quite a few Christians, even questioned by Kathleen Harmon (then the Executive Director of the Interfaith Food Bank), asking how I define "Interfaith" (since I run AmadorInterfaith.com). There was another time, when I wrote for TSPN, where got a direct quote from Al Nunes after a Jackson City Council meeting which was included in a news brief the next morning. Sure enough...TSPN got a phone call from City Manager Mike Daly about the quote (even though it was a direct one). Thus ended my days at TSPN. KVGC was once a loyal, supporting advertiser of Amador Community News, but when it came time to renew their supporting advertisership, I got nothing but crickets on their end as well.

All of these experiences I've had with Amador County's media has left me with the belief that there is a severe lack of accuracy, thoroughness, fairness, and transparency, as well as community representation in their stopped-up currents and methods of communication. Gone are the days where it is "good enough" to scotch tape a copy of meeting agendas on the doors of our government agencies. Gone are the days where having an outdated,  dysfunctional, confusing web site is acceptable. Gone are the days where we readily trust our local leaders to be forthright and honest about communicating the impacts of projects and decisions made that might affect our families, our neighborhoods and our businesses. Now, in the age of blogging and social networking, social platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, information not only freely but powerfully flows...it is apparent that communication the way that Amador County "has always done it" just isn't going to fly anymore.

I feel a great sense of First Amendment freedom in knowing that I can serve Amador County with a platform that isn't about politics, isn't about generational hierarchies and cliques, social status or local gossip. To me, it's about the people "in the neighborhood". So...who are the people in yours? Who represents you in your city councils, at the Amador Water Agency, at School Board meetings? Did you vote for them? What district is your neighborhood in, and who is your Supervisor? What might be going on behind closed doors? Rather than what is being said, what isn't being said? What are the issues in your neighborhood? Is it crime, bullying, drugs, domestic violence, lack of educational opportunities, property disputes, joblessness, hunger, forest fires, local economy? Are there environmental concerns, economic troubles? What groups, organizations and programs are in your neighborhood - in your district, in the County - that exist to help with these issues? It might take getting away from that TV or computer screen. Where crickets now chirp, start chatting with your neighbors at local meetings and events.

I love "facelook" time when I'm up in "The County"...I love stopping by and saying "hi" to Bart Gillman at Mel & Faye's Diner in Jackson, or greeted with big smiles by Martha Perez and her family at Jose's as I order my usual chile relleno. I love playing with my grand-daughter at Minnie Provis Park in Sutter Creek, and taking her to ice cream afterwards. I love serving as the Music Director at Trinity Epsicopal Church. I enjoy so many things about Amador County, and Amador Community News is the least I can do to give back by providing the community with a voice, help in the flow of communication, and give businesses a boost in this tough economic era with ACN's upcoming "Amador411.com" business directory. Most of all, I love to smash the bottlenecks and open the floodgates of communication. But it all starts with you, Amador County.

Get out there on "this beautiful day" and spend a little "facelook" time in your neighborhood. Get to know the people around you. Find out a little more about the "people that you meet each day". Let me know if you have something going on in your neck o' the woods, and I'll post it. Most of all, please spread the news about Amador Community News; tell your friends to "friend" us on Facebook, if they have it...or they can simply go to NewsAmador.com and find everything there in one place.

I am thankful for all of you, and your support of Amador's community media. Have a blessed Thanksgiving, and don't forget to SHOP LOCAL!

Carol Harper

Carol@NewsAmador.com
Facebook.com/AmadorCounty
Twitter.com/Amador411






No comments:

Post a Comment