Monday, January 27, 2014

You put your right foot in, you put your left foot out...

(Reposted from CoffeePong.com)

I was in a grocery store not so long ago where they had those big clear bins of buy-in-bulk coffee beans. Like I've said before, I'm no coffee snob, but...I tend to stay away from oily beans that have sat in bins for a bit too long. It's kinda sad, though...I look into the bins, press my nose up against their plastic prison cells, and the beans just sit there on top of each other, as if to say, "Please, save us!"  And I just have to say, "I'm sorry...I'm so, so sorry..." Walking away is the hard part, as I grab a vacuum-sealed bag of coffee just a couple feet away.

I know it's been a while since posting, but I've been busy with my little Amador County community e-newspaper/blog, Amador Community News. It's been an interesting week; many more are catching on to the concept of independent, community news. It looks like I'm finally reaching that broad demographic plane consisting of those "from one to ninety-two" via Facebook, Twitter and Google+. The best thing, however, has always been that ol' over the fence, word-of-mouth. Every once in a while, I'll post: "Say you saw it...on ACN"...people actually do, and I appreciate it. All of our readers appreciate it. I find great satisfaction, knowing that I can help with the flow of information in Amador County.

Last week I posted an announcement about a Town Hall meeting being held in Plymouth, where Congressman Tim McClintock would be present to take a few questions from the citizens in attendance. Every time I run something that might be politically charged, I run the following disclaimer: "Amador Community News, NewsAmador.com is a non-partisan and politically neutral community news, information and resource site, and does not endorse political parties or candidates."

After posting the announcement for the meeting on ACN's Facebook wall, a certain reader commented that ACN's stance of being non-partisan and politically neutral made her want to "puke".

Why would such a thing piss someone off like that? I really don't know. In a nation already cluttered with slanted, biased, politically-charged (and bought) media, I don't find it difficult at all to be non-partisan. I believe that community news is about the community's voice, not advertisers' voices, and there's room for everyone to express their views (with respect).

After the "puke" comment, there were several more comments with the nature of "tell McClintock" this or that. I gathered from the comments that many do not like McClintock's politics. After a while, however, I felt like I was being shot at (for simply being the messenger), so I pulled the post, but not before defending ACN. But I still had to wonder why so many felt more comfortable posting on ACN's Facebook wall, than taking the time to get out from behind their computers or cell phones, actually attending the Town Hall Meeting in person and facing the Congressman themselves. After all...I see their Facebook posts. They have plenty of time to drink and schmooze and social gatherings and events, but don't have the time to attend a town hall meeting for 10-15 minutes?

Oh well, I guess I'm just naive. I suppose people just aren't used to or ready for a non-partisan, politically neutral platform that is open and willing to receive Letters to the Editor, commentaries and opinions, regardless of political affiliation.

Funny...I thought that's what the First Amendment was all about:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (First Amendment of the U.S. Consititution)

This Amendment does not define who has these freedoms; it says that Congress "shall make no law". But it also doesn't give permission to influential political parties, affluent organizations (including religious), and corporate media to make some sort of "unspoken" set of laws or rules that assume to define those freedoms for the rest of us. It also doesn't define social, nor economic class...

It does include the words "freedom"..."free exercise"..."right of the people"..."peaceably to assemble"..."petition the Government". These are all things and actions that Congress cannot make laws against. So where does the power lie? In the hands of the people.

I cannot prevent disgruntled readers, armchair politicians and religious zealots from posting what they do on Facebook. The most I can do is delete, block and mediate the kind of content I do or do not allow for ACN. But what I will do is defend what community media stands for, and I stand for First Amendment rights that many people have seem to forgotten about because of the global soup of corporate media muck that readers have to sink or swim through to get the facts. So I will leave it up to the corporate, ad-driven media giants and their loyal subjects to do their so-called "fair and unbiased" reporting, be the bearers of "shock value" entertainment news, and influence the ignorant with their contrived hokey-pokey dances. I'd rather focus more on content than advertising. I'd rather focus upon what Amador County's communities are doing to build each other up and improve. I'd rather give Amador County the spotlight, give them a platform to have a true voice as to what they are "all about"...and to me, we the people is "what it's all about".

I was born into and raised in a Republican, right-winged household. A life-changing event in 1996 had affected me in all aspects of life - socially, emotionally, spiritually, mentally, politically. But today, for the record, I truly am non-partisan. I'm not a Republican nor Democrat, nor any party whatsoever. I'm not on the left, nor right. If people needed to understand my political persuasions in simpler terms, I would have to define myself as a Moderate. But I cannot and will not bring my own personal political views to ACN. So that is why I post that disclaimer from time to time, as it calls for it. If certain select people puke over that, I'm sorry, maybe a good antacid will help...or cut down on the happy hours. Or maybe actually spend some time getting involved in your own community in a positive manner, rather than pointing the finger from afar and complaining. When you decide to do that, you always have a voice on ACN's Opinions & Issues department, AmadorSoapbox.com.

I guess there will always be haters...bad oily beans in the bin. Just never want them to spoil the whole bunch.
---
Amador Community News is found at NewsAmador.com.
Facebook: Facebook.com/AmadorCounty
Twitter: Twitter.com/Amador411

Amador Community News is a part of the Knight Community News Network, a global network of community news, information and resource sites. kcnn.org

No comments:

Post a Comment