Friday, October 4, 2013

Shut up, or shut down?


I recently received some emails and Facebook messages from certain citizens in Amador County who have felt that I should take a stance on being conservative or liberal, Republican or Democrat, either be this or that. I've been called a "fence dweller"...those who have resorted to name-calling, telling me I'm "ugly on the inside", that I'm "inactive", useless...a few others simply have done their own little personal campaigns and vendettas against me/ACN. I've had to endure a host of gossip/backbiting in keeping this small, community resource alive. Perhaps what has hurt me to the point of breaking is that one person in particular said that I "stand for nothing". I once gave this person a voice on ACN, and encouraged that voice, for my belief is that everyone has one...everyone has a voice. To be mocked, well...to say the least, it kinda hurt.

From its beginning, in April of 2007, Amador Community News has been politically neutral and non-biased. As ACN's editor/ombudsman, I ​​felt it in wisdom to learn and understand what community media via the Knight Community News Network, kcnn.org, is all about.

​Knowing that Amador County is unique in California, I felt that the path to take for this e-news site/blog would be to a level where ALL have a voice, where ALL can benefit, where ALL do not have to succumb to advertisement dollars, nor whomever has the "most influence". At $5/month or $50/year, do people really think I'm in it this for the money? I'm not a whiner, where I shut ACN down like well-paid politicians. If I shut down, I shut down for damn good reasons.

What I don't think most understand is that I do ACN alone. I am and have been a staff of one since 2007, and it has recently become a huge responsibility that I don't think these ignorant, self-informed "types" realize. I understand that sometimes it might be easy to take things for granted, but when such a time arrives, what is one person supposed to do?

I had a moment of weakness. I apologize for that. But as you can see, I've gotten over the drama and will continue to bring Amador County their news and announcements...for free. Why can I do this for free? Because Amador Community News is you! All I ask is that you invest in my time as its editor/ombudsman, if you can.

Who do I "stand for"? I stand for you, whomever you are. I don't care if you're left, right, rich, poor, what race/ethnic/gender you identify yourself by, whether you are high class, middle class, or homeless under a bridge...all I care about is getting your information out to your community. All I care about is your voice. All I care about is bringing a community together...not focusing upon what tears us apart, because that tears me apart!

There is enough bad news. Give me your good news...because that's what I'm about. I stand for you.

Carol Harper, Editor

3 comments:

  1. Why didn't you allow me to address the position M. Perez wrote of sometime ago where she as always misinforms the meaning of the Dream Act? I don't and never have slandered anyone behind their back. What I said I say up front and personal. You should have used my name in the commentary above. I wrote for you and I stood by you. You let me down. The poor and more of us are poor these days and the shadow world in now right in our face....the old and the young are in the gravest danger...today I can't see anyone who is not a member of the lucky sperm club emerging from poverty. I am fed up with people like Perez who has no backbone and uses poor people and social programs as whipping boys. This financial mess has brought upon the largest number of long term unemployed since 1948. Wages have not increased for the working class for the past four decades. Time to call out the assholes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, you are an angry and bitter person. Both, the right and left have done things for the poor, yet..the poor are still among us. The homeless are still among us. The old, the dying...still among us.
    You need to get over your hate and anger, and start thinking about love and compassion. Quit waiting for the pig fights that the media and entertainment biz WANT you to see, stop sucking and kissing ass, and start seeing things for what they REALLY are, off of your arm chair. There will ALWAYS be people who will side against you. There will ALWAYS be those who don't agree. But does that take away your voice? Everyone has one...but be RESPECTFUL when you choose your voice. You are a bull in a china closet (my mom called me the same). You are NOT respectful. SO why would anyone listen to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to slam Martha Perez...a woman who has done so much for her community (and for you, personally, from what I understand)...that is your choice. It only shows the kind of person you really are. You can drink, schmooze and slide up to whomever you please, but in the morning, life in the real world still goes on. If I am wrong, call me on it. If Martha is the villain you claim she is, prove it. You want to talk backbone? What have YOU offered Amador County in a global community? Rants and raves? Opinions? Do you not realize that no one will respect you unless you are respectable? What do you have to defend? Your respect and love for fellow citizens? You have proven otherwise. I have told you countless times to stop your rants and write. When you write, you're brilliant. I have seen your potential in that arena, and when I stood by YOU, YOU did nothing. So the truth is, you're the one that stood for nothing, not me, simply because of what, fear?
    Get a grip on your anger, and start channeling your thoughts and opinions in a respectful manner. You did it before; I believe in you, still.

    ReplyDelete