Saturday, March 28, 2015

Riding the Elephant

I'm a loyal listener of National Public Radio via Capitol Public Radio in Sacramento. I haven't quite gotten to the point where I can regularly donate to public radio the way I really I want to, but I did sign up as an Evergreen donor, because at $10/month, it's the very least I can do to support a regional/national media that focuses upon the communities of the world and the issues that affect all of us as human beings. Thank you, NPR! My mornings wouldn't be complete without you, and, of course, my good, strong cuppa joe, and Pandora's dose of Hindi/Bollywood music!

For those who don't/didn't know, Amador Community News had its birthing pains in November of 2007. I attended a meeting that consisted of a group of citizens in the little hamlet of Volcano, CA that met on the issue of domestic violence, which turned into a meeting of the minds that voiced the many issues that faced Amador County at the time. We were asked to write down, on a small piece of paper, the top issues we felt were most critical. Crime, drugs, education, small/local business, generational politics, [smart growth] development, etc. were just a few issues on the plates that day at [what was called] the Jug & Rose. But there were particular themes and variations that I specifically honed in on, those of Media and Communications. "I would go to meetings, or be a part of groups/organizations, if I knew when and were the meetings were."

From there (as a budding webmaster), I started a meager "community bulletin board". I only say "meager" because, little did I know that this small, humble online presence would bud into what it is today a news blog, shareable by major social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+. I've always been one to carefully embrace change. And Lord knows, Amador County needed/needs it.

Prior to ACN, I was a writer/copy editor for the Calaveras Times (turned Gold Country Times), and was a General Assignment reporter for the Ledger Dispatch. Along the way I published a book, lost my mother to pancreatic cancer, became a casualty of the economy and lost my beautiful home in Pioneer, CA. Moved to Nashville, TN, and was about to quit ACN altogether, but a little voice inside of me (the late Kay Pulskamp, who was there at that original meeting) said: "Don't you ever quit this newspaper. We [Amador County] need you."

I didn't quit, and ran ACN from Nashville, TN for over two years. Many didn't even know I had moved; I kept up the postings and announcements, and when I returned in 2010 for the birth of my grand-daughter, Alivia, I realized right then and there that my precious baby would be raised in Amador County.

Life often never goes "as planned", but we do the best we can. I settled back into Amador County at various places - Drytown first (thanks, Gale Fairbrother!), then Jackson (thanks to Lana Vukovich, Stan Lukowicz and Pat Crew!), then Ione (thanks, Martha Perez and Travis Branco!), then on my own. I landed a job with Trinity Episcopal Church as their Music/Director/Organist, and have been there for about three years now. It was quite an adjustment to go from being a Southern Baptist Music Minister in Nashville, TN...to Episcopalian (with a few religious denoms along the way, including ex-Mormon) but I knew it was right when I learned that the motto of Trinity Sutter Creek was: "Whoever you are, wherever you are on your spiritual journey, you are welcome here." No matter what. That spoke "community" to me in spades. I am quite honored to be included in Trinity's loving congregation. I moved to Sacramento in 2012...however, as promised...I continue to run ACN from my home office, just like I did in Nashville.

But enough of my history in Amador County and whatnot. Who I really care about is you. As I continue to receive Amador County's announcements, releases, posters and flyers...continue to see your posts in political discussion groups, neighborhood watch groups, Facebook and Twitter posts,..I observe the issues of the world that affect you in this little slice of California:

Crime. Violence. Drugs. Joblessness. Homelessness. DUIs. Prejudice/discrimination. Bullying in our schools. Transportation. Political partisanship and gridlock. Generational divides. Education. Lack of transparency in our governments and local media outlets. Environmental issues. Growth and development. WATER! 

What I've observed is, quite frankly...a whole lot of BULLSHIT going on. I've observed Amador's city and county governments holding worthless, UNproductive meetings. I've observed organizations and groups forming because of disgruntlement and desperation. I've observed huge gaps in what is blatant lawlessness when it comes to race, gender, economic status and religion. I've observed local media (newspapers, radio stations, TV stations) publishing whatever the "powers that be" want published and aired, rather than what the community needs and wants to really know. 

I live in Sacramento now, but I can tell you right now...Amador County's city/county governments are pretty damn lucky, because if I were living up there in "The County" right now, as a reporter...I'd be riding the elephants all across your conference room floors and doing business. I am sick and tired of the "excuse machines" that whine that there isn't enough money in budgets to do this or that, or that there are important issues that should be "discussed in the next meeting".

In the next meeting? In two weeks?  What the hell are you doing in two weeks' time? Shmoozing? Keeping up appearances? Making deals that coincide with yours or your political party's interests/agendas? Not quite understanding the issues? A little intelligence gap, there? Not caring? Having lunch with so-and-so? Airing your biases, gossiping about whomever and whatever? Why not come clean and admit that you really don't know what you're doing, because that would be a relief for a LOT of us! Because at least we'd know...yeah, we might be a little angry, but take the chance that we might be a little understanding and forgiving, too.

Bottom line: DO YOUR JOBS! Find the answers and solutions...NOW! Quit farting around because of your own generational biases, and do what is best for Amador County! Gees, GOOGLE it, for heaven's sake! Find an app! I've done everything I can with California City/County Updates to try to make you see what is going outside your own little "control" bubbles...do you not listen to ALL of your constituents? DO YOU NOT READ? Do you not comprehend what you read, without bias or ignorance (be honest, there). How do you expect to make a difference in Amador County if the YOUTH don't even respect you for not reading and comprehending?

Teenagers would do a better job at running Amador County's government than those who are in place now. That is the truth, and most know it! Amador Community News has a very large demographic of teens who want nothing more than to get the f*** out of Amador County and see what the world has to offer. And I don't blame them one bit. All because you old generational name brandishers are too afraid to get out of your comfort zones of control and manipulation.

My own two kids chose to join the US Marines out of [Amador] High School. My son served in Iraq, OIF, and don't even get me started on my awesome daughter, who was awarded a Navy Achievement Medal. But not all of Amador County's youth want to go into the military. There are artists, musicians, welders, farmers, scientists, mathematicians, engineers, etc. who want to contribute to a GLOBAL COMMUNITY! And yet, Amador County schools put a grand degree of funding into sports?? How many, in the last MANY DECADES, have made it into collegiate or national sports arenas from Amador County?

Amador County "powers that be": Are you even listening and  thinking about the future? Are you listening to your kids, our youth? Or are you selfishly thinking about your own short term gratifications? About what makes YOU "look good" in Amador County's social circles? Is that so important to you that you ignore the future in front of you?

Because, quite frankly...I have more respect for your KIDS than I do for you. They have dreams and visions for their futures! May they go forward and make a difference, because they are learning to live, share and contribute in a world and global economy that truly needs them and what they have to offer...despite YOU!...while you pathetically sit back and stagnate in your generational biases and prejudices. Think about that while you stew in your own juices. I'm not going to name names, but you know very well who you are. Times are changing. We're all going to die, and eventually, no one is going to care about your "name". Who is going to live on and survive, in a different place, a different world, in a different time? No one is going to care about your family name! They already don't!

(Oh man. I can see already that this elephant ride is going to be quite bumpy...)








1 comment:

  1. As a board member of Capital Public Radio let me the first here to say THANK YOU for your generous donation. It makes a huge difference, particularly around supporting CPR's reporting initiatives on Health and Wellness, Energy and the Environment, and the Capital Beat, whose local coverage (including coverage o Sierra issues like forests, fire, water, and local economies) are almost solely supported by station subscribers.

    ReplyDelete