Thursday, July 17, 2014

It's just a dollar...

I've lived in several cities since leaving the small, quiet, hometown life of Riverton, Wyoming. After high school, I moved to Provo, Utah, which was just a half-hour drive or so to Salt Lake City. Both of my children were born there (in Provo/Orem). Then I moved to the South Bay Area and lived in a few different areas (Cupertino, Westgate and Rose Garden areas); lived there a good 10 years before moving to Amador County's Pioneer - just off of Inspiration Drive East - in August of 2000. Spent the next eight years raising my kids before both of them took off and joined the Marines. Moved to Nashville, Tennessee shortly after my son was deployed to Iraq. A long story of "there and back again", I moved back to Amador County in October of 2010, bounced from Drytown, to Jackson, to Ione, then moved to Sacramento in November of 2012...

...and here in busy Sac Metro, there's been a lot of development going on in our "hood". When I moved here from Ione well over two years ago, I was thrilled to be within walking distance of Trader Joe's, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Rubio's, CVS, Tim's Music, House of Chan (cheap chinese!), Thai Hut, and SaveMart. Also within walking distance was our Post Office and the local library. Only a few months into my "housewarming", I was ecstatic to have Nagato Sushi right next door. Then, a Walmart Neighborhood market went in, followed by several "bigger" box stores in the Town & Country complex, such as Bed, Bath & Beyond, TJ Maxx, Linen's and Things, and Ross. Coming up: Famous Footwear...and, alas...McDonald's.

Did I mourn the loss of any mom and pop stores? Yes. I was saddened that an entire complex (which included University Art) was bulldozed down to make way for the new developments. There was a little print shop and a salon that eventually became casualties of the war on small businesses. But then, this is the city...change and growth are always happening at a pace that this born-and-raised country gal has had to get used to, several times.

As I observe the opinions expressed by those opposed to the proposed Dollar General store in Pine Grove, I think about the growth and changes I've experienced in my own life,  in my own neighborhood here in the city. When I moved into "the hood", I observed the fact that there was an art store, a print store and a salon close by, but did I shop there? No. I get my hair cut at Great Clips...I have a laser printer here at home. I get any framing and art supplies at Michael's just off of Arden and Watt. Why? Because I'm a cheap skate. I want the most for my dollar. I want the best possible price for the things that I use daily, weekly, monthly, etc. There are several dollar stores within the area that I shop at - Dollar Tree, .99 Cent Store...and I'm a tag popper, and know quite a few great thrift stores within the vicinity. Costco is a 10 minute drive. I also shop online a lot, especially on Amazon, eBay, Vista Print, Cafe Press, etc.

The thing that I do not like about the new developments going in? The demographic(s) they attract. McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. all have value menus. You can get a hamburger, or a value fries for a dollar. You can get a small drink with refills for a dollar. I can tell you right now, I'm a minority when I walk into the local .99 cent store...you know it's really bad when there's a security guard outside a dollar store. But I'll brave it in order to get laundry detergent, shampoo/conditioner, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, even many food items for that "almighty dollar". Reality is, there are many homeless or those in a low-income bracket who would most welcome a Dollar General in their neck of the woods...Amador County is no exception...and honestly, most in today's poor economy would most welcome a Dollar General. There is a reason that the Interfaith Food Bank is in dire need of donations. There is a reason there are so many programs offered for low income families. There is a need - a "demand" - so there must be a supply for that demand.

But when I go up to Amador County, I want to see Metro Sac in my rear view mirror. I don't want to see the busy big box stores, corporate chains, and complex developments. Hell, I don't even want to see their signage! I want refuge from all the noise, the sirens (which we call the "Marconi Alarm Clock"), the "ghetto birds" that fly over with their floodlights...I want freedom for just a moment of my busy week to escape to Amador County and keep myself grounded in what has always been very important to me: A sense of real community.

Amador County is my escape; Amador County is my California home town. Amador County is an oasis destination for those of us trapped in the every day doldrums of city life. I'm fortunate enough to have a job that brings me up there a couple times every week, and when I do, I want to see those oak-studded rolling foothills as I drive on Highway 16. I want to see the cows chewing their cud in the fields, the tractors and ATVs on frontage dirt roads. I want to stop at Davis Ranch for a bag of almonds, tomatoes, or a few ears of corn. I want to "meet you at Mel's" for a Moo Burger...I want to have tacos on Taco Thursdays at Jose's. I want to be a part of small town church that welcomes you "no matter who you are, wherever you are on your journey in life". I want to shop at the mom and pop stores, see the familiar, friendly faces at the counters of local shops. I want to know that I'm going to a whole different world when I go to Amador County.

There's a Dollar Tree in Martell. In my opinion, that's enough. However, I do consider the fact that there might very well be a need for an upcountry store where the budget-conscious would benefit. So I say...if Dollar General can make their outward appearance look like an old-fashioned, home town "General Store" or something that complements the beautiful footprint of Pine Grove, then I say, do it. If they cannot, then they can simply get out of Dodge, because I personally don't want to see an ugly "Dollar General" sign plopped in the middle of my oasis.

That'd be like putting a Home Depot in front of the historic Kennedy Mine. Oh, wait...

Carol Harper




No comments:

Post a Comment